Casto Creations - Elegant Jewelry Designs

Handcrafted jewelry using gemstones, glass, Swarovski crystal, sterling, Precious Metal Clay, vermeil, gold, and other materials. And some random thoughts thrown in just for kicks.

Sunday, March 12, 2006

Learning From Others

If you've ever worked super hard on a project...or if you've ever come up with a unique idea...you know how great that makes you feel. And you know how hard it can be to share the 'how' of your idea.

Luckily, not everyone is stingy with their knowledge. Some people are amazingly kind and share their ideas with others so that others can benefit from their ideas, knowledge, and experience.

I am SO thankful that Eni Oken is one of those people!!! Because of her I have learned several different techniques. One of those was an incredibly complicated ring. I've only made one of them so far because it takes a long time. I used Pink Peruvian Opal with sterling silver wire.

But she also created a tutorial for another ring (I've been obsessed with making rings lately for some reason) that was much easier. I was able to make several in an afternoon. The Amethyst one on the right is on sale at my Etsy store. The other two IOpalized "quartz" glass and Carnelian) will be up for sale at a later date.

I am very grateful that there are people like Eni out there willing to share their gifts with the world. I've run across many 'stingy' artists out there. They don't want to share with the competition. I can understand that.

It can be frustrating when you think someone has 'stolen' your idea. But I try hard to share with people who are just starting out because someone helped me...it's my job to pass it on.

Cheers!

1 Comments:

  • At 5:36 AM, Blogger Jane Carlstrom said…

    Hi Megan, Found you on Etsy and came over to read your blog. Love your style and spirit. What a great read, learned much, and enjoyed reading it all. Jane

     

Post a Comment

<< Home