Casto Creations - Elegant Jewelry Designs

Handcrafted jewelry using gemstones, glass, Swarovski crystal, sterling, Precious Metal Clay, vermeil, gold, and other materials. And some random thoughts thrown in just for kicks.

Thursday, March 16, 2006

What Inspires You?

I am inspired by so many things...the nature surrounding me; the color combinations found in pillows, rugs, clothing; even wallpaper samples. But I especially find it helpful to browse other artist's work to get out of a creative slump.

Inspiration can sometimes walk a fine line between admiration and copyright infringement. I love browsing other jeweler's website and looking at their color combinations, composition, and style. However, I never copy someone else's work. That is absolutely wrong.

Whenever I hear about another artist's work being copied my pulse goes up. Did you know that there are such disgusting people out there who will copy an original design from an artist and have it mass produced overseas? I had no idea that happened until I started making jewelry. I think it's pathetic and totally without class.

But finding inspiration from another person's work can be hugely satisfying and helpful when you're in a rut. A lot of times looking at another's work helps my brain switch to a new track that I may not have thought of before. Maybe I see a different color combination that I've never thought of before. Something catches my eye and makes me think "AHA!" Now I know what I want to do!

The only time I sit with another person's work in front of me is when I'm working on a tutorial to learn a new technique, like the amazing tutorials by Eni Oken. Otherwise, the inspiring photos I browse are tucked neatly away while I'm at my work table because I want to be especially careful not to have even a hint of copying. Immitation might be the sincerest form of flattery...but it's still wrong.

So, what inspires you?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home