Casto Creations - Elegant Jewelry Designs

Handcrafted jewelry using gemstones, glass, Swarovski crystal, sterling, Precious Metal Clay, vermeil, gold, and other materials. And some random thoughts thrown in just for kicks.

Friday, October 27, 2006

Due Diligence

I love to give...I love to give gifts to friends, family, and coworkers. But I also just love to give to people who are in need. At Christmas I love to participate in my work's adopt a family program and I've gotten in trouble several times by my hubby for going overboard in spending. :) I can't help it. I grew up blessed with wonderful Christmas experiences and want everyone to experience something wonderful at least one time.

And I enjoy giving to charities...but am not always sure what charities are the best to give my money and get the most help to those in need.

But there is a website out there that evaluates thousands of charities and I will be using from now on to determine my giving patterns - Charity Navigator. They are independent and have all the nitty gritty details that I want to see - like the total overhead a charity takes from my donation.

Did you know that the American Red Cross spent over THREE BILLION dollars in the last fiscal calendar year? But did you also know that this is only a 8.5% overhead rate! That is a GREAT rate.

The Susan B. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation has a 20.8% overhead. That means for every $1 you give to SBK, only $0.792 goes to the programs to help in Breast Cancer research. That's not a bad rate necessarily, but we should all be aware of how charities allocate their funds.

So give to your heart's content! :) Just be informed about the charities to whom you give.

2 Comments:

  • At 9:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    breast cancer magnets

    Here's some useful info on breast cancer magnets which you might be looking for. The url is:
    http://breast-cancer1.com/

     
  • At 11:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    wow, I didn't know that the american red cross had such a low overhead rate, i just assumed that it wasn't as good (i can't remember why). thanks for the link to that site!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home