Casto Creations - Elegant Jewelry Designs

Handcrafted jewelry using gemstones, glass, Swarovski crystal, sterling, Precious Metal Clay, vermeil, gold, and other materials. And some random thoughts thrown in just for kicks.

Thursday, October 19, 2006

What the Heck is Lucite?

I admit it - I'm a plastic snob. Even when I first started creating jewelry I would not go near plastic beads. Those are for kids!

Little did I know!

Just as there are different qualities of gemstones, there are different types and qualities of plastic. Lucite is one of the best plastics out there and the Vintage Lucite I've been blessed to work with is just stunning.

One of my favorite suppliers of Vintage Lucite beads is called Bead'in Path. From their website describing Lucite:

"DuPont Corp. introduced lucite in 1937. Since it was more cost effective to produce than the currently used bakelite, lucite was used in production of costume jewelry as early as 1940."
I love the bright colors and wonderful shapes - some of which are available for a very limited time because they're old and not being reproduced.

"...this company had not manufactured beads or jewelry components since the late
1970’s and early 1980’s. They simply had a 10,000 + square foot room stocked
floor to ceiling with these pesky beads and hoops and cabochons ... "
I'm so glad that I found out about lucite, especially the vintage lucite at the Beadin Path. I'm still a plastic snob...but only because I will ONLY use this great quality seamless Lucite.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home