Casto Creations - Elegant Jewelry Designs

Handcrafted jewelry using gemstones, glass, Swarovski crystal, sterling, Precious Metal Clay, vermeil, gold, and other materials. And some random thoughts thrown in just for kicks.

Monday, March 20, 2006

Photo Advise

Actually, I probably need more advice than I can give. The most I can offer is that it is SO important to have bright and accurate photos. I can't stand looking at some of my earlier photos and scans. They were dark and slightly blurry. I shudder to remember them! And as a customer I immediately tune out bad pictures and move on to the next vendor.

I use a digital camera...An Olympia C-740 Ultra Zoom that we bought ... gosh, it must be 2 years ago now. Time flies! :)

I have no idea how to use it other than the 'auto' feature and to delete the photos I don't like. I'm sure if I took some time to read the book I might have more functionality but there isn't much hope that I'd understand it more unless someone took time to show me. I'm a hands on and visual learner.

But I still think that my photos have improved 100%...even though there's always room for improvement. It's hard to get bright sunlight in the Pacific Northwest, but whenever I find a sunny day I try to take some photos. [I'd love to get a lightbox but other things take priority right now.] Then, I download the photos from the camera and edit them in MS Office Picture Editor to crop, brighten, and compress. Then, if I want to add any borders or fun edits I use MS Picture It! Express.

Any advice on taking good photos?

2 Comments:

  • At 9:29 PM, Blogger Hira said…

    Hey ... love this earring ... and love your blog ...

    By the way, have you tried using Picasa for the editing and stuff?

     
  • At 12:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey! I've followed you over from Etsy and this blog is fantastic. You're such a dear to put all this information out there for us.

    Photography is such a huge issue for us sellers -- I've actually been considering taking a photography course at my local community college to improve my know-how and skill. There's a huge thread on Etsy here with a TON of helpful links (most to other Etsy threads). Most sellers think a "lightbox" is indispensable, and I agree (you can see my ghetto version here). Beyond those two things, though, I'm not much help. ;P

     

Post a Comment

<< Home