Casto Creations - Elegant Jewelry Designs

Handcrafted jewelry using gemstones, glass, Swarovski crystal, sterling, Precious Metal Clay, vermeil, gold, and other materials. And some random thoughts thrown in just for kicks.

Friday, March 31, 2006

What do you NEED at a Show?

My list of supplies for shows keeps growing and growing. I always forget something. Even when I create a list, without fail I will forget at least one thing that I need. Or when I get to the show I realize that there's a new item that I need to add to my list for future needs.

So, what are some of the basic items that you really need to have on hand at a show? I'm not talking about display items or tables. I'm talking about things that you will need at one point or another during the show.



  • Garbage / Plastic Bags - I can't tell you how many times I have been to a show where the garbage can is ridiculously far away. Keeping your booth space clean is vitally important to maintaining a professional appearance.
  • Small Table / TV Tray - I use a regular tv tray, covered with a small table cloth, as a work desk at shows. It's nice and small, not taking up valuable display space, and generally is plenty big enough for writing receipts, taking money, and working on custom orders.
  • Calculator, Stapler, Scizzors, Pens, Tape (Scotch & Duct) - And any other office supplies you think you might need. Safety Pins and Paper Clips are also good things to have on hand (even if not for myself, I've had to loan them to fellow vendors).
  • Business Cards - Even if you don't plan to hand them out, having business cards is more about being professional than making more sales. I don't think I've ever had someone who's taken a business card contact me after a show. But that's not why I hand them out. It only takes one great customer who contacts you after a show to make up for all the business cards handed out to no avail. You can make your own if you're so inclined, or go to www.vistaprint.com for super inexpensive (and even free!) business cards that are great quality.
  • Towels / Paper Towels - I ran out of paper towels at a show once and was punished by the paper towel gods. They are great for cleaning displays (sticky kid fingers), wiping up spills, and soaking up water. I got stuck with a leaky tarp and no way to soak up the extra water. It was not fun. Regular towels work well too.
  • Extra Fabric / Table Clothes - Unless you wash your fabrics after each and every show (if you do...will you wash mine too!?!) you never know if a wayward stain has made an appearance without you noticing. Plus, you can use extra fabric to cover up your storage bins (if they aren't already under your tables).
  • Extra Supplies - No matter what you make (jewelry, clothing, candles, etc.) someone will want one of your items 'altered'. I learned the hard way that not having your tools of the trade with you can lead to lost sales. Now I carry an extra little storage container (with a nice little handle on the lid) with all my pliers, extra sterling findings, and a few extra beads (generally extra Swarovski crystal). And it has helped me gain sales.
  • Sign Up Sheet - Do you want to just sell at this show and then walk away with your sales until next year? Or, do you want to make sales AND make contacts? Ask people to sign up with their name, phone number, e-mail address, or physical address. If you plan to do monthly updates, let them know. I rarely send out an update more than once a month, and usually less often than that. I think we all get enough e-mails.

Have I forgotten anything? Probably. I think it's genetic. :)

1 Comments:

  • At 8:06 AM, Blogger Megan said…

    That is a GREAT idea! It would work great and keep things from falling off...which I tend to have a problem with. LOL

    As to working full time and making enough...I just don't get enough sleep. :) And my weekends are pretty busy.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home