Casto Creations - Elegant Jewelry Designs

Handcrafted jewelry using gemstones, glass, Swarovski crystal, sterling, Precious Metal Clay, vermeil, gold, and other materials. And some random thoughts thrown in just for kicks.

Thursday, April 06, 2006

More Craft Show "Stuff"

Learning about craft shows has been a very popular subject on several forums where I participate. I'm sure that's because the summer season is going to be here faster than we realize.

One person who had some absolutely FANTASTIC insights is JOYouz from Quill Chick on Etsy. I want to give her full credit for these ideas and suggestions because they are so great.

"I love having my pocket apron at shows. It's the bib kind withvarious sizes of pockets along the bottom. I always felt better when I kept my cash (bills) in one of its pockets. I attached a ribbon to the zipper pull of a small pouch and pinned the ribboninside one of the pockets. That way I never got distracted and absently mindedly laid it down somewhere. I never invested ina cash register and have now quit doing shows."

I have invested in a small cash box. It locks and is fairly handy. I do have a bit of stress if I have to step away from my booth but so far (knock on wood) I've been just fine. I lock it and have the key on one of those cheap stretchy plastic bracelets so I keep it with me. I do like the idea of an apron though. Especially for supplies. I could keep my pen and calculator in the pockets. I tend to lose both of them.

JOYouz also made some additional supply suggestions, which I loved:

  • Wet Wipes / Baby Wipes
  • Small Screw Driver
  • Tape Measure
  • Tape (clear packing tape)

Great ideas! And even better than bringing 'stuff' is bringing a good attitude. JOYouz continues:

"Bring your best smile and be sure to make quick eye contact and nod hello to each shopper then let them browse. "If I can help you, let me know" is better than "Can I help you?"

This is a FABULOUS point. I purchased a CD on selling crafts from Bruce Baker called "Dynamic Sales and Customer Service Techniques. It is wonderful! He makes the point that you never ever ask a person a question where they can answer "No".

So, if you ask someone "Can I help you?" ... They can answer... "No Thanks...I'm just looking." How obvious is that and yet it never occurred to me! Much better, as JOYouz suggests is "If I can help you with anything, just let me know." This lets the customer know that you are there for them but they are in charge.

"Smile even when they say, "I could do that." Suppress the urge to say, "Well why didn't you?" And it is *not* considered good seller etiquette to kick 'em in the shins. :(" [Emphasis mine]
This is too funny...I haven't had *too* many people say this, but I have had a few. And another thing I've had is other jewelry people come into my booth to 'browse' for ideas. I honestly don't mind but please don't pretend to be a customer. I have shared so much with beaders who come in are honest up front. I've even written down vendors and sources for them. I appreciate honesty. But it does bug me just a tad when someone picks up a piece that I've worked really hard on and is examining it from every angle...obviously trying to see 'how' so they can go home and do it. I haven't kicked anyone in the shin...yet.

"Decide now if you are going to lower prices near the end of the day (and if you are, on what products?). Savvy buyers realize some some vendors do and may ask. Deciding ahead of time will help you avoid having to make that decision on the spot."
Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. It depends on the item and it depends on the show. Generally if an item is something I've had for awhile I get tired of it (isn't that horrible!) and am more flexible on the price.

"Use it as a learning experience. Stress as little as possible. If people aren't buying, remember it all the fault of our economy and not yours. ;o) Good luck and most of all, have fun! "

I think JOYouz provides us all with some great food for thought and ideas to make our shows more successful. If you have more to add or any questions, feel free to leave them in the comments section.

1 Comments:

  • At 6:41 AM, Blogger Carol Dean Sharpe said…

    When I get the customer who does the "I could do that" routine, I amost always respond, "But now you won't have to, since I've already made it for you."

     

Post a Comment

<< Home