Casto Creations - Elegant Jewelry Designs

Handcrafted jewelry using gemstones, glass, Swarovski crystal, sterling, Precious Metal Clay, vermeil, gold, and other materials. And some random thoughts thrown in just for kicks.

Saturday, June 17, 2006

Happy Father's Day Weekend!

To all those dads out there...have a happy weekend.

And for all those kids and grandkids...take some time to thank your father or grandfather.

My father died when I was 8 years old of colon cancer, which had spread everywhere. I remember him waking me up at 2 a.m. He'd make me hot chocolate and toast with butter, wrapped up in a paper towel. I'd sit in the front seat of the truck half asleep as we drove to the ocean with the boat.

He was a fisheries biologist. A super smart guy. He absolutely LOVED fishing. It was his life. When I'd get bored out on the boat, he'd start bribing me with milk shakes and roller skates. I have dozens of photos of him with fish. Starting at a young age he was into nature. He even had a pet skunk!

He worked right up until his last days, even taking his IV pole in to work. I wish he had lived. Who knows how my life might have changed. Perhaps I wouldn't have been as boy crazy ... or then again ... :) I think I was pretty boy crazy even when he was alive.

So appreciate your father. He may not be perfect but at least he's yours. I hope mine is looking down from heaven on me ... and I hope he's proud of what he sees.

2 Comments:

  • At 10:27 AM, Blogger treasurefield said…

    Oh, that is so beautiful, it makes me cry!! What a wonderful father you had, and he left you wonderful memories to cherish. He must have left a lot of himself in you. I'm sure he would be proud of what you've become. No doubt you'll see him again one day!

     
  • At 7:51 PM, Blogger Laurie said…

    Your memories of your dad are very touching, Megan. You're so blessed that even though he's no longer here, you had such a great relationship to remember. God Bless you ...

    Laurie

     

Post a Comment

<< Home